Thursday, March 5, 2009

Revelation…

I don’t generally think of myself as the boss. I’m a good old fashioned action officer. I get tasks, I churn them out, and then I move on. That’s why it came as a bit of a shock to the system this afternoon that while I was sitting in an impromptu meeting this afternoon someone made an offhand comment to the effect of “you’re the boss.” I demurred with a roll of my eyes and a typical “yeah, right.” No, she insisted, “it’s your project, you really are the boss.” There was no burning bush or anything, but it was like one of those Old Testament moments of revelation… At least in my little corner of the universe, I’m not just the guy who’s supposed to get the job done; now I’m supposed to be using other people to get other jobs done too. Honestly I’m not sure how I feel about that yet. I know I can play well with others when I have to, but my strong preference is to be an army of one. So much for personal preference, I suppose.

No comments: