Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Off guard...

I got a call late this afternoon that one of my second cousins had died early this morning. I hadn't seen him in years, but had fond memories of him from when I was growing up. I asked how old he was and wasn't surprised to here 59 or 60 as I knew that was the general neighborhood he would have been in. What only dawned on my after the call had ended was that this guy had was *only* 60. Suddenly that doesn't seem so old. That's twice my current age and it occurs to me how quickly these first 30 have gone and that the pace only seems to be quickening. It's a thought that caught me off guard and one that's likely to fester for a while. I don't generally ponder mortality, but tonight I think I'll make an exception.

Godspeed and rest well, cuz. You will be missed.

No comments: