Sunday, January 10, 2010

Three and change...

Between this pay period and last, my salary hasn’t increased and my deferred deductions haven’t decreased and yet somehow my federal taxes went up $3.53. Of course three dollars and change isn’t really something to get worked up over, but it’s the principal of the thing, damn it. Over the course of the next year, that’s the better part of a hundred dollars… Not huge money by any stretch, but still better in my pocket than in Uncle’s.

I seem to remember hearing a promise that those of us making under $250,000 wouldn’t see their taxes increased in an Obama administration. Unless I’ve gotten a hell of a pay raise, I’m nowhere close to that mark… and yet that $3.53 difference is there right enough on my pay stub… mocking me. Oh, I’m sure it’s some kind of fee, or service charge, or anything other than a “tax”… But ultimately an increased tax is precisely what it is.

It’s just the kind of small detail and minor annoyance that seems to dig in and fester with me. It’s going to have me aggravated for days. I’m sure there are people out there who are savvy enough with the tax code to tell me what happened, but all I see is a few fewer dollars at the end of the month and regardless of the reason, that seems like a bad deal to me.

I want my bloody three dollars back.

No comments: