Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The gray flannel suit...

For someone who has always valued the solidity of a good plan, I’m actually a little disturbed at how competent I’ve become in the art of just winging it. I wouldn’t say I was unprepared for the project that I was working on today, as I helped put most of the groundwork for it in place three years ago… But as far as any actual special prep work for today’s session, I hadn’t spent a lick of time preparing or even thinking about it. Maybe it’s some kind of auto-pilot for career bureaucrats. Whatever the case, I’m pleased to report that it almost sounds like we have half a plan put together and that we are closer now to the future than we’ve ever been before. Now all I need to do is survive three more days with the contractors without bludgeoning myself into unconsciousness. In all seriousness, they’re good at what they’re doing, but it’s a tune I’ve heard before and it seems the further I get along into my career the less I’m interested in how people are going to do things and the more I just want to see them getting done on time. Color me a man in a gray flannel suit.

No comments: