Sunday, December 7, 2008

Minimum safe distance...

Sometimes I think it’s a good idea that I live 800 miles from home. It’s the kind of mileage that gives one a minimum safe distance from family. I knew that my mother was going to have a small conniption when I broke the news to her that her second grandchild was also a dog. But I hadn’t planned on the rather blistering email invective that I got outlining all of the reasons why a second dog was a terrible idea and that a lab makes it even worse. I suppose it serves me right for convincing her that she needed to be part of the e-revolution in the first place. Now mother has never really been a big fan of the kind of animals that live in the house, where I have always been the one trying to drag strays home. That’s definitely not something I got from her. The reasons ran from “you’re too impulsive” to those dogs need more room than you have to she’ll destroy everything in your house. The real kicker was arguing that it would have made more sense for me to come home telling her that I got some girl pregnant. So much for logic.

So here I am, sitting here at the keyboard second guessing myself. It’s amazing that at 30 a guilt trip from my mother still has the old magic, no. But the kids seem to love playing together and I know I’m giving them both better homes than many other dogs out there. So chime in here, readers, have I done the right thing?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeff, you are 30 years old, correct? You have your own house, correct? You fully support yourself, correct? It is your life, correct? Don't let mom put you on a guilt trip. So what is the deal? You pay a stiff bill at the puppy boarders when you go visit mom, doesn't seem like rocket science to me! This is from your friendly CSR at work.

Jean said...

Of cours you made the right choice... When have you ever made the wrong choice? Giving an animal a loving home is the next best thing to having a child; or so I hear. Keep her or I'll have to come down there and kick your ass:) Love you1

Unknown said...

Definitely made the right choice. Besides, if you had a "real" kid you wouldn't spend near as much time completing responsible care...the baby mamma gets 75% of that work. Trust me, I speak from experience.

Chester said...

She's just having a problem accepting the fact that she can't brag to all her friends about her grandCHILD. My mom is finally coming around after 2 years and is calling Chester her Granddog now and actually bought him a MilkBone Christmas tree. She'll get over it, and learn to love 'em too.