Monday, October 12, 2009

Getting mooned...

I know this is slightly old news, but it was sort of a busy weekend and I’m just not getting around to commenting on the fact that we friggin’ bombed the moon… The friggin’ MOON! That’s some old school flag waving, there, son! Now I’m not at all surprised that we can bomb the moon. After all, we got pretty good at getting there in the 60s and 70s, but the fact that someone had the fortitude to sit in a meeting with very serious people and say, “You know, if we spent a few hundred million dollars, I bet we could throw a big rock at the moon and then test whatever it kicks up.” Seriously, I want to sit in meetings like that. The last meeting I was in involved looking at how many investigations were ongoing into people who lost government property. Guess which meeting was more fun.

I’m sure there was plenty of legitimate science to justify bombing the moon, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say I’m glad we did it for no other reason than because we can. The last half of the 20th century was full of “that’s friggin’ sweet” moments and I, for one, would like to see more of them in this century. So, whatever you guys at NASA are dreaming up, I say go forth and do great things. The more your experiments sound like the next episode of Mythbusters, the better off you and your budget are going to be in the long run. I just hope you’ve got something good dreamed up for your next act, because following this up is going to involve some serious work.

No comments: