Sunday, June 7, 2009

Morning person...

I've never really thought of myself as a morning person. Growing up, I wanted to stay up half the night, even if the only thing going on was reading a good book. I worked overnights most of my way through college. And I have to admit that I liked it in part because there were way fewer idiots awake to bother me... And even fewer after 3AM when most of the drunks had made it home for the night.

Of course that all changed when I started working for Uncle. The commute from Howard County to DC is a demanding mistress. It was just easier to get up at 4:15 and be on the road by 5 than it was dealing with the traffic of I left any later. The early start time demands an early bed time. And that all made sense at the time.

Now here I am in West Tennessee where my morning commute is a predictable 35 minutes from garage to cubicle, but the pattern persists. I still don't particularly like mornings but seem to have trained myself into being a morning person. I'm told that people actually go out and do things on weekday evenings in the summer, but I wouldn't know because by 8 it's a struggle not to fall asleep on the couch. I'll be eligible to retire in 2033... Maybe I'll be a nightowl again.

No comments: